Industries / Construction
Financial confidence to build on.
To help construction contractors focus on building their next project while building their business, we deliver accounting and tax solutions to create a foundation for smart growth. We navigate you every step of the way to avoid unforeseen bumps in the road. No matter what your business might face, our team has experienced it before.
Our DFK International affiliation also provides us with the resources to support the growth of contractors throughout the world.
The construction industry can present challenges not common in other industries that requires continuous specialized training and industry knowledge. In addition to specific continuing education we are also members of various national and local organizations, including Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA), Associated General Contractors (AGC), and Alabama Surety Association. Our team services over 80 construction and related industry clients.
How our services are applied to construction
- Audits, reviews & compilations of financial statements – contractors are generally required to present financial statements to satisfy bonding, licensing, and banking requirements as well as contract owner bidding requirements
Income tax planning
Preparation and assistance with federal, multi-state and local income, franchise, payroll and sales tax
Specialized long-term contract tax regulations
Cost segregation studies
Domestic production activities deduction
- Our team is highly knowledgeable about the research and development (R&D) credit that provides an incentive for companies to invest in innovation in the U.S. This credit is available to companies across all industries that develop new products or processes, where most don’t realize if and when they are eligible. Our team aligns our client to claim wages, supplies, and contract research costs associated with R&D projects and activities.
- Section 179D allows qualifying building owners and businesses to receive an up to $1.80 per square foot tax deduction for their energy-efficient buildings placed into service during all open tax years.
Personnel consulting and assistance –we are often a resource for employment or hiring needs. We can assist in the search, interviewing, and hiring process.
Assist with monthly financial statements, percentage of completion calculations, check writing, account reconciliation, payroll and sales tax filings, accounting and internal control assessment. Our team can serve as your back office without having to take on unnecessary costs.
Serve as an interim CFO or other supporting accounting personnel for staff transition within an organization.
Audits of retirement plans and preparation of related tax filings
Compliance with tax reporting for health and welfare plans
- Help you understand the value of your businesses
- Perform due diligence on potential acquisitions
- Assist in planning for the transition of ownership to the next generation through sale or estate planning
- Retirement plan asset management and advisory services
- Estate and gift planning and general wealth management services for contractors and the individual owners
We have shared a great relationship with Wilkins Miller for over 40 years. Their team is an asset and partner to our organization whether it’s in results, advice or proactive planning. They operate with integrity, great character and values.
– John White-Spunner
The people I work with at Wilkins Miller are always professional, thorough, high in character and have a great attitude. I value them as a part of my company and would highly recommend them to anyone.
– Ben Radcliff