Summary of BBB’s “5 Steps to Better Business Cybersecurity”
June 22, 2017Share:
Contributed by: Scott Province
The Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) publication, “5 Steps to Better Business Cybersecurity” introduces key considerations for understanding and managing cybersecurity risks.
We’ve summarized these five steps to get you started:
• IDENTIFY: Inventory key technologies and data used and stored and locations; track likely threats; know what information must be rebuilt if something goes wrong.
• PROTECT: Assess protective measures needed to prepare for a cyber incident. Establish protective policies for technology, data and users, and ensure service provider contracts include proper protections.
• DETECT: Measures should alert about threats to system integrity or data loss/compromise. Users should be trained to report problems timely.
• RESPOND: Make and practice an incident response plan to stop or minimize an attack and operate in the short term.
• RECOVER: Return to normal operations after an incident and preserve sensitive data and reputation over the long term. Create data recovery and breach notification plans.